Saturday, August 1, 2009

What A Week!

We are back from our babymoon and had an absolutely amazing time.  We did about one hike per day, including a mile-long hike into a completely dark cave.  We spent lots of time viewing the red rocks of Sedona, shopping, eating, and swimming.  I really enjoyed spending some quality time with Brett.  

The worst part of the trip was Saturday night when I had some vaginal bleeding of the bright red variety, which is a major problem in pregnancy.  I called the midwife's office and they suggested going to the nearest ER, which we did.  We were both so anxious, but since I've had a healthy pregnancy so far and it wasn't a stream of blood, I wasn't too nervous.  Since I was exactly 20 weeks at that time, I was sent to labor and delivery.  They monitored baby's heartrate and me for contractions.  Since the baby's heart was fine and there were no contractions, we were cleared to leave after a couple of hours.  We had taken a two-hour long hike that morning that extended past noon when it gets super hot in Arizona.  The nurse suspected that may have been the problem.  We took it a little easier the rest of the trip.

In the midst of this scare, I told Brett that if they did an ultrasound, I wanted to find out what the baby was.  There was no rational reason for it, except for that I simply wanted to know.  They didn't do an ultrasound, but I still realized that I really wanted to know.  Despite months of planning not to find out, we did a 3D ultrasound in Phoenix and found out that we are having a
.
.
.
.
.
BOY!!
He was so adorable in the ultrasound and looked a bit like his mama.  He was all snuggled up against the placenta, so it was hard to get a good shot of him.  The funny thing about finding out the gender is that you can't help but be a little disappointed either way.  For the past 4 months, we've been tossing around hypotheticals, i.e. "I hope he has your broad shoulders" or "I bet she'll have red hair like you."  By the time 20 weeks rolls around, you already have images in your head of what your boy or girl would look like, be like, what you'd teach it, etc.  Then when you find out what you are actually having, you have to put half of your imaginings and hopes on hold.  I'm still glad to know because it makes it feel a little more real and makes me feel even more connected to my little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment