Thursday, December 31, 2009

Two Tiny Miracles

Let me start by saying that I'm not prone to being skinny. My grandma weighs well over 200 pounds and she's just five feet tall. I've always carried around a good 10 pounds more than I'd like and to be movie star skinny, I'd have to drop another 20 after that. Aside from some bad genes, I have a bum knee that makes certain exercises off-limits for me. It's not a bum knee in the sense that it hurts every once in awhile, it's truly a lemon. I've had three, that's right three, major surgeries on it over the past 10 years.

I gained 42 pounds while I was pregnant. Ugh. Given my poor genes, high weight gain, and inability to engage in really strenuous exercise, I was fully expecting to carry around some extra pounds and a flabby tummy for a good long while after having James. In what I can only call a miracle. . .

1) I am wearing my pre-pregnancy jeans. I actually fit into them within a week of James' birth. I'll concede that these are stretchy and were my "fat jeans" before being pregnant, but still! Today I tried to fit into one of my regular pre-pregnancy jeans and I was able to get them on, but buttoning them appeared to be impossible. I know I have a ways to go, but I'm shocked and pleased that I'm as small as I am this quickly. I haven't weighed myself and don't plan to until my 6-week postpartum visit.

2) My wedding ring fits again! I stopped wearing it around 5 months because it was summer and my fingers were swelling due to the heat and pregnancy. I'd tried to wear it a couple times over the past few weeks, but it was too tight. Today, it fit! The timing couldn't be better because tomorrow is our five-year wedding anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment