Friday, April 10, 2009

Curveball

Today, mom and I were meeting one of her old college friends for lunch.  She hadn't seen him in 25 years, but wanted to connect with him because she thought he might be a good "mentor" for me professionally (that part totally didn't work out.)  I didn't think I'd be put in a difficult position regarding the whole "no alcohol" thing, but this guy walks in and orders a martini with lunch, so mom orders a long island, then I order a vodka tonic, or else it'd be obvious.  Shortly after we ordered, I told mom I had to go pee.  I walked up to the waitress, asked where the bathroom was then said, "You know that vodka tonic?  Can you please hold the vodka?"  Then I gave the most awful wink I've ever given.  I'm not a very good winker, but she got the point and my drink arrived virgin.

No comments:

Post a Comment